Tuesday, March 14, 2006

To My Friend: I Wish You Could See This…


I was cruising the mall today with a friend as we were both deciding to splurge as we head into the new spring fashion season and I was approached by a friend from high school I had not seen in years. And amid the warm remembrance of the old and the exciting expectation for the future the topic of a relationship for my female friend arose. The discussion continued for sometime and during it one line really caught my attention: “All men are *** holes.” I was bit taken back when I first heard it having been isolated in the ‘desert’ that Eston is for the past seemingly six months. But as I pressed her on the idea further, wanting to know the depth of this conviction she did not back down. She truly believed that all men in this whole world had some sort of (slang) characteristic to them. Not feeling at all offended I wondered to myself what could have brought about this belief. Years of hurt and abuse from males? Broken promises, and lies strewn all over a relationship maybe? Deception? It hurt me to see her have this outright unfaithfulness in men, and yet I’m not sure I blamed her. Throughout my culture and my own lifetime I have witnessed many a man who has lost their way on how to treat women and present themselves as honorable. But what baffled me the most was to come back to my home, hear this is going on, and known in my heart that back at my little ‘non-bubble’ in the middle of somewhere, there was a college full of young and older men that would prove her statement false. I want to honor the character of the guys attending the college and how they uphold the value of the women they live everyday with. I want to challenge them not to stop growing in that example, but to let them know they are making a difference one smile at a time. I want to thank the ladies at the college for their constant forgiveness in recognizing that we are not perfect nor will we ever be, yet they still reciprocate that respect back to us. I want to pray for my friend that there will be countless examples of guys that would treat her the way she should be treated. That she would have fathers to nurture her, brothers to protect her, and perhaps in His timing a knight to love her. But I pray that her belief would be broken through living examples, or as she would see it ‘living legends’ such as the guys that attend our small yet oh so invigorating college. Keep growing guys, and know that everyday we have an opportunity to love our sisters and genuinely care for them and in doing that we might even become story book hero’s in some girls lives. Literal living legends, And do it because you know the worth of God’s creation not so you look good. But to my friend: I wish you could see this… it would change your life.

6 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, March 15, 2006, Blogger Ashley said...

How would women act if they realized their worth and were treated that way by every man, and in the same way how would men act if they realized their worth and were treated that way by every woman? It would be an entirely different world........

 
At 7:20 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Oh dear greg, you are as wise as yoda, but not green, no not green.

 
At 4:56 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger WAUGDAI said...

Greg you always amaze me at the wisdom beyond your years. You have been such an example to myself and many other women, of a great man. Bless you.

 
At 7:44 PM, March 19, 2006, Blogger Tracy said...

Well said Greg. Many of us have a poor idea of how a guy is to treat women. We get one idea from a past relationship and that sticks with you. I know it did with me. Girls need to understand that not all men are the same.
Thank you!

 
At 7:23 AM, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a broken, bruised and scarred woman who stumbled across this passage, I would like to say thank you, and I pray that these guys you talk about would become the norm rather than the exception. that men like you and these friends you talk about would truly and forevermore take their rightful place in society. Thank you, Thnak you, thank you, my heart sighs with joyful hope that all is not lost.

 
At 7:36 AM, March 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

guys who think like this and respect women are so rare, thank you and the figbee guys for being examples. I wish that when I was there I did not take it for granted. So thank you for opening my eyes to what I did not see.

cheers
anna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home