Friday, May 12, 2006

Simply Grace


I have been sitting and contemplating for the last week about how this will come out and decided to just write it and see where that leads me. The inspiration for this post is ultimately the Lord, but His words have come to me through Rob Bell and Donald Miller. I am sure that I am one of the last people on the planet to read ‘Blue Like Jazz’ but I assume it is better late than never.

What have captured my attention are the ideas revolving around grace. I’ve sung about it, wrote about it thought about it, and just now I am beginning to finally find myself in a place unable to comprehend it. In ‘Blue Like Jazz’ Donald discusses how he used to be part of this self-discipline group where the members would keep themselves from the pleasures of the flesh if you will, things such as television and smoking. It never worked for Donald. He claims that it only took a matter of time for his self-discipline to be defeated and then he was back to his old tricks if you will. I have struggled with the same cycle, finding myself defeating an awful habit for literally years only to find myself years older and still struggling with the same thing. I have wondered what it will take to walk through these struggles and now I am beginning to understand what it takes and also where it leaves me.

“By accepting God’s love for us, we fall in love with Him, and only then do we have the fuel we need to obey.” (86)

Earlier he states that even the laziest of men will swim the English Channel for a women he loves. I laugh because I can so clearly see the connection and they journey of thought God has been leading on when I check my earlier thoughts of love found on ‘Your Thoughts’. I need to understand that God loves me and that there is nothing I can do to earn or even repay that debt. He has given me a forever-undeserved grace. He love me just cause… It’s a hard teaching for me to accept and comprehend. Perhaps this is because of my pride that says I don’t want to be charity. I’m lost in thought right now about this.

The funny thing is at the same time I’m reading ‘Blue Like Jazz’ I’ve begun reading ‘Velvet Elvis’ by Rob Bell and it talks about the idea of being in love with my Lord and not having to worry about defending and sharing my faith, but telling someone about the one I love. If you haven’t read this book I recommend it. I’m only 80 pages into it, and it has already challenged and motivated me.

These thoughts are far from refined, and I’m all right with that. I just I would share some honest thoughts about where I am on my journey and perhaps you have already walked through this grace issue. I’m excited because I know that God is moving in my life and shaping me for the future. I’m getting bigger glimpses of it everyday and that is really refreshing for me.

There it is laid out straight, if you have any insights into your experience with grace please feel free to share them I’d love to sit and listen.

2 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger rachel elizabeth said...

you are not the last one to have read Blue Like Jazz. I just started it not long ago and in fact have not even finished it. I had to return the schools copy...haha. Someday i'll finish it.

Thank you for your words. Bless you brother.

 
At 12:47 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Ashley said...

I hope and pray that these revelations continue to penetrate your entire being. I just finished reading Movement 5 in Velvet Elvis, incredible, life transforming. See you this weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home