Friday, July 14, 2006

Veteran...Campers Paradise?


Well, I’ve arrived home in Calgary to finish the week, and with my I brought a throat infection, which will be sure to treat me well as I head to Pembina camp this weekend…I’m more than excited!

I’m a bit shocked at what took place at Veteran camp this past weekend, I was the councilor of the 13 and 14 year old boys, and well, we had a good time. It has been the first time in my life where I actually felt old. I was having a hard time relating with the discussions of some of the young guns, but I felt a huge joy in that, they were a lot of fun.

Veteran camp, somehow leaves its footprint on you. After all the 4 hour long services, and teachings that will have to be wrestled through for years to come, when the morning to leave rolled around all my kids were desperate to stay longer…some even used the words forever! The dynamics are so interesting, as the camp has really nothing to offer in terms of exciting features…water so brown that it is unnerving (the iron content is much too high), activities that, while exciting, will never win in a fight against water sports, and a lot of free time. I have spoken to people who have gone in the past, claiming it is the best camp ever, and somehow their point was proven. I’m not going to say it’s the best camp in the entire world, but it does have a lot to offer…some how.

The main benefit of the camp is the relationships. There is a lot of opportunity to hang out with people and build friendships, and well hang out. And at the same time the Lord is very subtly working on your heart; this is seen when you arrive at the end of the week feeling like you’ve have gone through a life changing experience, but can’t put your finger on how.

My experience in the “Alcatraz” cabin was one of joy, and I was so blessed to have the Lord place me there. It was interesting as I was praying to be sent to Kedleston, but I can see now how that would have been too ‘safe’. I’m always asking the Lord to bring me to the place where He would like to see me the most, a place of reliance on Him, and while Veteran wasn’t always easy it was always a good place for me to have to rely on the Lord. I’m more than thankful for the experience, and won’t be surprised if I head back next year!

Next week is the adventure known Pembina, and all it’s promised rainy days. I’m hoping to borrow a game from Regina, “Trout and Egg”, oh the potential for this camp is through the roof. Lord may you continue to lead, and keep us all safe from the extreme version of fear factor headed our way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home